Forza Horizon 5 receives a major update on March 29 that brings a number of multiplayer improvements, including a new progression system and custom race option, and naturally adds some metric tons of highly desirable rides.
- Horizon Open has been updated with a new progression system, including emblems that can be unlocked through the game
- Added Custom Race to Horizon Open, which will allow players to find races for their chosen racing discipline and PI class
- Fixed some scenarios where the player could wait longer than necessary in the post-race flow
The notes outside of the PvP changes say that Series 6’s focus is on player customization, so a lot of the tweaks revolve around that side of the game and make it more visible to others:
- New collectible paint barrels and miniature t-rex dinosaurs scattered around the world
- Two EventLab events presented every week
- A seasonal championship with a custom photo taken by a member of the community
- Seasonal PR stunts will now provide Super Wheelspins instead of regular Wheelspins
- Tons of new cosmetics and cars
Series 6 also adds an all-new Horizon Story about the ‘infamous’ Drift Club, which has multiple chapters across the game’s world. This is unlocked by playing the Series 6 Festival Playlist and apparently includes “various multi-kilometer drifts, including real-world inspirations from infamous drifting videos” – so expect some impressive player clips.
The rewards, fittingly, include a 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E 1400, a “unique drift racing car prototype”. As always, there are also a bevy of new cosmetics and rewards: vanity items, horns, icons, and so on. you can see them all in the full patch notes here.
Forza Horizon 5 was our open world game of the year in 2021, a richly deserved gong for such a dense, intricate, and utterly joyful place. As the entire ‘Series 6’ might suggest, Playground has maintained a consistent pace of free updates that add new ways to play and trinkets: it also teased that during this presentation, the game’s first expansion will be revealed soon.