This Mi Water TDS Tester from is a good deal for the price in which it is available . I got it from the official mi store . The water TDS tester is compact and small size. It comes with IPX6 waterproof technology when the back cover is tighty shut. In which two LR44 button cells are to be put but the only thing was that you dont get two LR44 batteries inside the packaging, you have to buy it yourself.
TDS stands for Total dissolved solids. Minerals, salts or dissolved metals such as calcium, chloride, nitrate, sulfur and some organic matter that are dissolved in water are commonly referred to as TDS. TDS can be expressed in terms of milligrams (mg) per liter of water, or also referred as parts per million (ppm).
TDS Water Chart
|<50- 150 ppm||Considered low: missing in some of the minerals that are beneficial for your health|
|150-300 ppm||Perfect: This level is the good for TDS in drinking water|
|400-600 ppm||Not great: Consider a reverse osmosis system to lower your TDS|
|800-2000 ppm||Terrible: Not recommended or safe for use|
|>2000||Worst: A TDS level above 2000 ppm is completely unsafe and household filters can not handle this level of contamination|
The product looks very durable. This product is a made in China product in Foshan Viomi Electrical Technology and is imported by the Xiaomi Technology Mi Water TDS Tester has a digital LCD display which isn’t too bright for outdoor use but indoors you can see easily a range from 0 – 9990 ppm . The MRP on the box is Rs 500 i.e around $6.9 but you can get it in Rs 347 from the Mi store app.
The tester gives you the result quickly in 3 seconds. You just have to fill the 2/3 cap with water and then put back the cover on top of it making sure there is no air bubble inside it.
Why you should measure total dissolved solids?
- Taste: High levels of TDS affects the taste of your drinking water. Depending on the type of dissolved solid, water could cause a bitter, salty, or even a sulfuric taste or odor.
- Health: TDS in water is important for the requirement of the nutrients. However, high amount of some substances, such as lead or copper, are health hazards.
- Filter maintenance: Water filtration systems are a great solution to total dissolved solids, but they do not last forever. Routine testing for TDS can provide assurance that your filter is working properly.
- Plumbing and appliances: Water that contains high levels of dissolved calcium and magnesium can cause hard water. Hard water collects in pipes and forms scale and buildup, which result in costly replacement for pipes and reduce the life of your appliances.
- Cleaning: If your dishes have water spots no matter how many times you clean them, if your clothes fade in the wash, its time to test your water for total dissolved solids.
The effect of total dissolved solids on your plants and your fish tanks
If you are growing plants, flowers at your home then total dissolved solids play an important role in providing nutrients to your plants. Two substances which when in high amount increases TDS are potassium and nitrates, which are good for your flowers. You may have even seen your grandparents putting banana peels at the base of plants.
If you have aquarium , it is best to keep them in a solution of water with TDS similar to their natural habitat. High TDS can create havoc causing cloudy water and a lack for sunlight and, therefore, lack of photosynthesis for aquatic plant life. It can also raise the temperature, which can be harmful to some species.
How to reduce TDS in water
A water treatment system is a best way to reduce or remove TDS from your water, especially if your TDS is above 500 ppm or higher . Although these RO systems are responsible for lot of water wastage .TDS meter can not determine the types of dissolved substances. If you don’t know what’s causing issues like odors or spots on your dishes or piping, then it can be difficult to choose the best filtration system. Using a home water test kit helps you determine the makeup of your water and analyze whether action is needed beyond a water system.